I’m not what you would call a fan of world music, but I just counted the number of languages used in my music collection and came up with nine:
- English - Most of the songs
- Spanish - Manu Chao, Pixies, others…
- French - Manu Chao, Amelie soundtrack, Dealership, others…
- Japanese - Yoshinori Sunahara
- Portuguese - Seu Jorge (his Bowie covers from The Life Aquatic)
- Icelandic - Sigur Ros
- German - Nena (99 Luftballoons), Kraftwerk
- Latin - Chant (you know, that ubiquitous Gregorian chants CD from the mid-90s)
- Galician - Mano Chao
Seems like there should be some Italian in there as well, but I can’t find any right now. And I didn’t count Hopelandic, which is a made-up language that Sigur Ros uses in some of their songs. How many languages can you find in your music collection? Post your list or a link to your blog post in the comments.
This thread is closed to new comments. Thanks to everyone who responded.